Positive for Covid-19, Berrettini withdrew from Wimbledon


The runner-up of the 2021 Wimbledon grand slam, Matteo Berrettini, has decided to withdraw from the 2022 Wimbledon event after he tested positive for COVID-19, Tuesday (28/6).

The Italian is the second person to withdraw from Wimbledon due to COVID-19, after previously, 2017 Wimbledon runner-up Marin Cilic of Croatia also tested positive.

Read also: Hamilton Finally Opens Up About Racist Comments

“I am sad to announce that I have to withdraw from Wimbledon due to the positive test result for COVID-19,” Berrettini wrote in a post on his personal Instagram account.

Berrettini is considered one of the biggest threats to defending champion Novak Djokovic at the All England Club, he is also favorite to win at Wimbledon this season after winning two successive grasscourt titles at the Stuttgart Open and The Queen’s Club Championships for some time. then.

The 26-year-old tennis player said he had mild flu symptoms and had been self-isolating.

“Although the symptoms are not severe, I decided it was important to carry out another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone involved in the tournament,” he said.

“I can not speak much to describe the tremendous disappointment I feel. The dream is over for this year, but I will come back stronger,” he said. (Rif/AFP/OL-6)