RI Sends 476 Athletes to Compete in SEA Games Vietnam


The Indonesian government has sent 476 athletes to compete at the 31st SEA Games in Vietnam in May.

The amount is determined based on the results of a review of athletes and sports (sports) that have the potential to win medals. « All those who are departed have a gold target, » said Menpora Zainudin Amali in Jakarta, Wednesday (30/3).

A total of 31 branches that will be followed by the Red and White contingent. There are 13 sports in the National Sports Grand Design (DBON) section. The details are weightlifting, athletics, cycling, badminton, rowing and rowing, karate, shooting, archery, pencak silat, swimming, gymnastics, taekwondo and wushu.

Also read: Towards the SEA Games, Shin Tae-yong wants Asnawi to strengthen the national team

Other non-DBON sports include fencing, bowling, chess, esports, wrestling, jujitsu, judo, kickboxing and diving. Then, men’s soccer, sepak takraw, tennis, boxing, triathlon, indoor volleyball and beach volleyball, basketball, vovinam and golf.

The government did not send a DBON sport with a potential medal, namely rock climbing, because Vietnam did not compete in it. For the composition of athletes, 60% is filled with juniors and the remaining 40% is 40% seniors.

Also read: KOI Deals With SEA Games Budget Limitations

The contingent that will be dispatched this time has been downsized by around 43%. That’s compared to the SEA Games in the Philippines in 2019. The 31st SEA Games competed in 40 sports with 526 event numbers.

Zainudin highlighted that with only 40 sports being competed in Vietnam, Indonesia has the potential to lose 30 gold compared to the Philippines. At the Philippines SEA Games, Indonesia collected 72 gold, 84 silver and 111 bronze.

« We lost the potential of around 30 gold, because the sports and numbers that won medals in 2019 were not contested. However, the analysis of the review team found a replacement elsewhere, » he explained. (OL-11)