Zverev admits he deserves suspension


ALEXANDER Zverev said he deserved to be suspended if he violated the probation given to him for his outburst in Acapulco last month, when he hit his racket against the referee’s chair and verbally abused him.

The world number three was fined $40,000 and lost more than $31,000 in prize money and all ranking points earned in singles and doubles action in the Abierto Mexicano tournament.

Following the review, the ATP issued an additional $25,000 fine and an eight-week ban from competing in ATP tournaments, as well as a year-long trial in which he will no longer be fined for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Read also: Zverev sentenced to probation over incident at Mexico Open

“If I do it again, they have the right to ban me. It’s that simple,” Zverev said ahead of the start of the Indian Wells tennis tournament last week, quoted Monday (14/3).

“If I do it again, it means I haven’t learned, right? I think everyone in life deserves a second chance, everyone makes mistakes. But if you repeatedly make mistakes, it means you haven’t learned.”

“So if it happens again you have to suspend me. But I will do everything I can to make sure it doesn’t happen, not only next year but my entire career.”

After losing in the doubles in Acapulco and annoyed by phone calls during the match, Zverev approached referee Alessandro Germani’s chair and nearly hit him as he swung his racket before heading to his seat on the touchline.

The 2020 United States (US) Open runner-up then approached the chair for a second time and hit him again while shouting expletives.

The 24-year-old German called the incident the biggest mistake of her tennis career and said she was embarrassed to even walk around the locker room at Indian Wells.

“I can guarantee you that I will never act like this again in my career. It was definitely the worst moment of my life, my career, in general,” concluded Zverev. (Ant/OL-1)